Got my V-One yesterday and unpacked it and got it all setup. Packing was great. Very nice, well protected and secure.
I started with the "Hello World" sample just so I could make sure I had a baseline of what to expect and if anything went wrong there were plenty of examples to compare it too. I noticed that the "long runs" of ink were near perfect, whereas the shorter runs and short bends is where any defects would show (extra blobs of ink, not sharp turns but rather "curves"). All in all, it worked.
So now I started my own board. Nothing fancy. Some relays, NPN's, Resistors, and connectors. I made sure to use the DRC file for eagle that Voltera provides so all my routing and traces were within specs. But even the DRC let a few things slip through.
The traces were allowed to close to the edge of the board. While it could print fine, the baking would have had issues sitting on the rails. So I masked off that area with a restriction area and re-routed.
Vias just to close to traces and other components. Since the ink is not perfect (from what I saw in the Hello World) There might have been issues with the vias blending into some pads or traces. So I manually moved the vias to give better clearance.
Now for the printing. I was using one of the pre-printed Pi-Hat boards you have. Getting these aligned is a pain. At first it wanted to align on one of the holes, and then on one of the not yet printed pads, I re-did the alignment using two of the pads there WERE pre-printed.
I would recommend getting fudical marks on these to align to and allowing the software to choose from a list of YOUR boards to aid in alignment.
Probing. Allow certain areas of the board to be masked off from probing. More than once it was probing in the areas of the pre-drilled holes and the probe went into one of the holes and when it went to move it got caught on the edge of the hole (or solder trace) and when it shifted, the whole board moved with it (it was snug in the clams, but not overly solid).
Once I go to the printing stage, it did the initial test pattern first. That was fine, however you must be VERY CAREFUL in cleaning off the ink that you don't move the board when you do it (again, it was snug, but not overly solid).
After about halfway through printing I noted that it was actually printing on top of the re-printed traces at the top of the board and even outlining the holes. So, I stopped the print, cleaned off the board and started the whole process over. This time I excluded the pre-printed areas. This could be solved by being able to select the pre-printed board from a list.
One I got it all aligned, probed and print test done again, I let it print the entire circuit. There were a few issues.
Some pads did not print at all. It tried to print them, but only tiny bits of ink were noticeable. I selectively went back and tried to print these items, but until I adjusted the trace height (from .10 to .13) it would not print. I suspect that the probing was off in that area. Odd since a pad right next to it printed just fine.
Some vias were not "circles" of ink, but rather "blobs". I'm also guessing this was due to the probing and not printing at the correct height.
The pads for my relay are very narrow and the amount of ink printed was just not enough to actually use. For these I went back into Eagle and updated the footprint of the device so it is wider. Its a part that I had to create for Eagle, and use the exact specs from the data sheet, but increasing it will not be an issue.
Finally the solder. that was perfect. If anything I would be happy just using the printer for putting down the solder. Though one issue. The formulation you have dries on the pads pretty quick. I only did the solder for the Hello World demo, but by the time I got to putting the 555 chip in place, the solder had dried. Lucky for me that in the re-flow stage it all worked itself out and I got strong bonds(though one of the led's was raised up into a bead of solder and not flat on the board).
One last thing. And this is the BIG, BIG, BIG problem. It seems the the belts used to move the "bridge" forward and back seem to slip a lot when doing initial movements. For example when going form the "home" position to the PCB, it moves VERY fast and does not have any "ramp up". During this time it slips the belt drive (making a terrible noise). I would suggest changing the software to go slower and ramp up the speed if necessary. Its not far to travel, so it does not need to go super fast anyway. this happened 3 or 4 times to me.