My experiment with hatched planes yesterday had a secondary goal in mind, I've always had problems with connectors and V1 boards. The problem is unreliability in the connection do to the forces generated in using the connectors. I always had to make sure I still had the voltage at the ICs on the board because I could never be sure that the connector solder joints were holding. Even with hot gluing the connector to the board.
Maybe my annular rings are too small but I decided that even if I don't "need" a hatched plane I will still use one for each pin of a connector. I use the plane as an additional annular ring where space allows and just walk the solder holding the connector out as far as I can.
The board I created yesterday with the hatched planes took longer than all the boards Ive ever created to make but, for the first time I didn't feel like I was fighting with the board itself to run my tests.